In this post we will talk about “how to get rid of conduit”.
These are some easy to follow steps to remove Conduit toolbar malware and the default search applications from your computer.
Conduit as you may already know is a browser hijacker which will install with other freebie programs and downloads.Please make sure when you download things uncheck boxes for default search engines and installation of toolbars, and this way you will avoid things like this from happening in the future. Installing conduit it will change your landing page (homepage of the main browser) and also set conduit as the default browser search engine.
After installing Conduit this will show you many advertisements and in your search results there will be a lot of sponsored links. Adding to this it may also collect search history from your computer. This infection is used by pirates to boost their revenues a lot, and by this they make the sponsored sites rocket up google ranks. The toolbar however is not a virus, but it has a lot of malicious capabilities (hijacking your browser, collecting search history) and it is categorized as an unwanted program (since the user doesn’t intentionally install this).
This malware usually gets on your computer if you install free software such as download managers, PDF modifiers/creators and many other video-streaming-recording-playing freebies. This is encrypted directly into the Exe file, so you cannot see this with the bare eye. Either you use an antivirus to scan the file or simply try to extract the exe, and if that works the extracted file is malware.
As the best example i would like to talk about DivX player. When installing this media player it will automatically change the homepage and install the conduit toolbar. If you want extra work and you do not believe me try to install it.
The sad part is that even if you after uninstall this software the Conduit parts will remain. Your browser landing page is still Conduit and the toolbar is still there. You will have to manually get rid of them from any infected web browser you may have.
When installing anything, if possible, always ask for the custom or advanced installation, since in most of the cases only here you can deselect the pre-set toolbars and search engines like this. And furthermore if you do not trust the source, you didn’t ever download anything from that source until now, the risks are high to get infected.
Now the actual removal part:
Please follow the steps in the guide in the order we gave you. After removing it with one tool there may be traces left so we have to make certain we clear everything out. This malware is very tricky so don’t get fooled by it.
Step 1: Uninstall the search Conduit Program
In this step we will try to see what you have installed that doesn’t belong on your computer.
- Click the Start button on your windows bar and select Control Panel. (this is for windows 98, 2000 , xp and 7 users)
2. Windows 8 users go with your mouse to the right side of your screen and search for Control Panel there. Once you found it open it.
3. After this find and click on Uninstall a program.
4. After clicking there it will open the menu for the Uninstall feature. Here you will firstly click on the Installed On column header (usually once but this a second click may be needed) until you have the arrow facing down. This means that your programs are now sorted after installation date. Now simply go through the list and uninstall everything that has conduit in it, or if you don’t recall installing other programs , then you should uninstall those as well. Unknown , funny named programs are usually spyware and malware.
However you way not find Conduit here. Since depending with what you installed it , it may have different names (this is why i am suggesting uninstalling unknown programs as well).
Sometimes this malware won’t uninstall and it will say that it maybe used by other programs. If you face this than you should use a specialized removal tool like Revo Uninstaller. This will remove Conduit from its roots, and will erase any evidence that it was ever on your computer.Step 2: Removing Conduit from your browsers and setting up your former homepage/landing page
Since internet explorer comes together with Windows, this browser has no issue removing Conduit. You simply need to reset it. Do the following to reset IE:
- After opening the Internet explorer browser page, in the right corner (right below the Close button you have a small Gear-like icon. Click on it and this will open the settings option. After the drop-down is displayed click on the Internet Options option.
- After clicking the Advanced tab(right in the top check the picture) the reset button will be displayed. Use this with confidence. It will be good as new in no time.
- You will be also asked to confirm this action. Do it.
- Now you wait until it resets everything. Once everything is done close the menu and restart the browser. Problem solved.
Here we go for Mozilla Firefox
This browser also has a reset feature, and it is way smarter than Internet explorer. Here you can save your data as well (passwords, bookmarks, history). Here we go:
- There is a Huge red button in the top left corner of the browser with Firefox written on it, click on that. A dropdown will open, here we go to the arrow near the Help and click on Troubleshooting information.
- Here in this menu you will see a big button with Reset Firefox written on it, press that.
- Now the confirmation. Of course we want this, since we started it on purpose.
- As you could see in the Confirmation box your data is not lost. After finishing you will be informed what was successfully imported back from the old Firefox settings to this new/fresh version.
And last but not least we remove the Conduit virus from Chrome, Google Chrome
- After opening Chrome, you will notice (right under the close X ) three horizontal lines. Click on it and select settings in the drop-down.
- After this page is opened, scroll down and you will see a Show advanced settings blue text (a link), click on that.
- Now almost at the bottom of the page we will have another button labeled Reset browser settings. Gently click on it.
- And again as you are used to by now, the lovely confirmation screen. Accept it again and move forward with it and you are done.
Step 3: Clean the remaining files on your computer with ADWCleaner.
This specialized tool will search for ANY conduit related file still hanging around on your computer.
- Download the utility tool with one simple click on the following link:
- DON”T RUSH IT. Close any program/browser that is running before starting the installation process.
- After the installation is finished Scan your computer .
- After the scanning finished (if files were found) click on the Clean button as shown below, to get rid of them for ever(registry data included).
- After you clicked on Clean, AdwCleaner will tell you that it will need to restart the computer in order to completely finish the job. Save any ongoing work you had and allow it to do so.
Hope this helped you, as it helped me. If you found this post/guide useful make sure you tell others as well that have this problem and don’t be selfish to keep all this only for yourself. At the bottom of this post there are the share buttons you can let others know this way as well.
Take care and be careful
If you have more questions, feel free to address us at mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org